In episode #41 Jesse speaks to Daniel Kim-Shapiro, Director of the Translational Science Center at Wake Forest University and expert on this week’s topic: beetroot juice. They discuss the nitrogen cycle and its effects on brain function, safe levels of nitrate consumption, and why you should have listened to your mother all those years!
- [1:16] Shout-out to Jill Krasny of Inc Magazine – “Biohacking” Entrepreneurs Turn to Smart Drugs to Supercharge Their Productivity
- [1:36] This Week in Neuroscience: FDA Approval of Video Games to Improve Cognition in Older People
- [3:00] Why beetroot juice?
- [3:55] Daniel Kim-Shapiro tells us what goes on at the Translational Science Center
- [5:15] Study on the effect of beetroot juice on cognition and a walk through the nitrogen cycle
- [7:07] Effects on blood flow and blood pressure
- [8:07] Nitric oxide
- [10:28] Short-term and long-term effects
- [11:15] What Daniel is working on now and “heart health”
- 13.43 Other high-nitrate foods, discussion on potential harm, and nitrates’ bad rap
- [18:05] Chewing your food — why you should listen to your mother!
- [21:21] Daniel’s involvement in beetroot juice and nitrite projects
- [22:32] “Death by Caffeine”
- [23:10] A cringe-inducing disclosure about SDS #40
- [24:40] Sign up to hear from us regularly (for real this time)!